Thursday, December 21, 2023

deep peace to you



~Hello, Winter~

By now, my family and friends are probably tired of hearing me wish them a Merry White Christmas. To them a snowy Christmas means that guests may not make it in time for the festivities. The kids might not get home. It means getting snarled up in traffic as they scramble to pick up the last gift or two. They may not make it to the grocery store.

I get it...but still, I love winter and I would give anything for a white Christmas. Why?

"It is the hope of the crystal,
the architect of the flake,
the fire of the frost,
the soul of the sunbeam.
This crisp winter air is full of it."
~John Burroughs~
 
 
*
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep..."
~Robert Frost~
 
 
*
"When I no longer thrill to the first snow of the season.
I'll know I'm growing old."
~Lady Bird Johnson~
 
 
*
"I prefer winter and fall--
when you can feel the bone structure of the landscape--
the loneliness of it--
the dead feeling of winter.
Something waits beneath it.
The whole story doesn't show."
~Andrew Wyeth~
 

*
"When snow falls,
nature listens."
~Antoinette von Kleeff~
 
www.minnesota.publicradio.org
*

"I am younger each year at the first snow.
When I see it, suddenly, in the air
all little and white and moving,
then I am in love again and
I believe everything."
~Ann Sexton~
 
~ attribution unknown~
 

 Do you celebrate the solstice? Are you at peace? Deep peace?

~Happy Winter Solstice~

"Deep peace of the winter solstice to you.
Deep peace of the falling snow to you.
Deep peace of the love of friends to you.
Deep peace of the gentle deer to you.
Deep peace of the moon and stars to you."
~author unknown~

~attribution unknown~

jan





 

No comments:

Post a Comment