Sunday, December 24, 2023

what gift will you give?


 
Why, certainly. Help yourself...
 
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." When Dickens wrote this line, he wasn't referring to Christmastime...but he could have been. He was writing in the 1800s, but he could have been writing today. This is the beauty of literature...the concepts and context of great storytelling endure across generations. Common themes repeat themselves. We realize we are connected in our joy and sorrow, victory and defeat, pleasure and pain with the rest of humanity all across time and space. 
 
"Across galaxies of time and space,
Travelling just to see your face,
Lost amidst the countless stars
To bring me back to where you are."
~Bryce Anderson~
 
This year, I hope your Christmas is among the best of times. Full of childlike delight and eager anticipation. Alive with bright lights and beautiful music. Inspired with gift-giving and gratitude. Personally, I hope you have a real tree this year, and I hope it snows for you...silent, and deep, and gentle. Mostly, I hope you and the people you love are healthy, that they can be home with you, that your story has a happy ending...
 
"Not to spoil the ending for you,
but everything is going to be okay."
~https://quotess.net~
 
...because, for some, this Christmas will be the worst of times. Some of us are mourning the loss of a loved one. Some are struggling to put gifts under the tree and food on the table. Some are ill. Some alone. Some at war. I could go on.

People everywhere long for an end to suffering, for healing, for peace. 

Go ahead. Ask them what they want for Christmas. What gift will you bring?


A Gift to Bring You
~Rumi~

"You have no idea how hard I've looked
for a gift to bring you.
Nothing seemed right.
What's the point of bringing gold to the gold mine,
or water to the ocean.
Everything I came up with 
was like taking spices to the Orient.
It's no good giving my heart and soul
because you already have these.
So I've brought you a mirror. 
Look at yourself and remember me."

*
I wish you enough.

 
 jan
 
 
 

 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment