Saturday, April 1, 2023

this might hurt a bit



True Story:

I am currently in the process of welcoming a brand new right knee into my life. She was a bit reluctant at first, but we're getting along better now. She's complaining less. I'm sleeping better. Together, we're making plans for the future. 

I've undergone major surgery before, so I knew what to expect going into this...or so I thought. I was prepared to be exposed (literally) as an ordinary human being. I knew there would be pain, swelling, stiffness, and frustration. Even regrets. I told her we had to go to physical therapy even though all that bending and stretching would hurt. I promised that when she is ready, I'll take her for long walks on the beach and in the woods. We'll sit cross-legged together in meditation.  

She asked me to be patient with her. She reminded me that healing takes time. You can't rush it, but you can hamper it if you don't do your exercises...or if you're impatient and push yourself too hard, too soon. What you thought would take five days may take five weeks, and what you thought would take five weeks can take five months. Ho-hum.

"Your body's ability to heal
is greater than anyone has permitted you
to believe."
~various attributions~

So we agreed on a few books we would read while we wait. What shows we might enjoy on TV. What writing projects we could work on. She surrendered to the ice packs while I turned the heat up a bit.

Total knee replacement is a common procedure these days, but that doesn't make it a quick and easy fix. Recovery has its ups and downs. Its frustrations and consolations. Its victories and defeats. 

If you are facing major surgery, here is my advice to you:

  • Learn all you can about what you can expect from it. Believe about half of what you are told.
  • Do as much as possible to prepare yourself physically and emotionally for it ahead of time. I forced myself to exercise for months before my surgery to strengthen my legs for what was to come, and they love me for it now.
  • Enroll a couple of sympathetic advocates to encourage and support you. That way, when they ask you how you're doing you can lie shamelessly, "I'm doing fine...", and that will make them feel better, too.
  • Don't wait until your pain is unbearable before you take something for it. Take it, according to directions, before you really need it. It's harder to get ahead of pain than it is to prevent it.
  • Patience and self-care promote healing.
"Self-care is a divine responsibility."
~Danielle LaPorte~

For anyone out there who is dealing with a joint replacement, I would like to offer a huge thumb's up, a full-out drum roll, a trumpet fanfare, and resounding applause! You have earned it!

"Take care of your body.
It's the only place you have to live."
~Jim Rohn~
jan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment