Monday, June 22, 2020

how will you live your "one wild and precious life?"





If you ever turn to a page in a book I've read that looks like this, it means one of two things. Either I had absolutely no interest at all in what I was reading, or it touched me so deeply and was so beautifully written, I forgot to make notes. It totally carried me away. Which is what happened to me this week.

I was sorting through a couple of boxes of books I'd banished into storage a few years ago (because who has enough shelves to hold all their books?) when I came across this book, one I've owned for at least 15 years, but never found time to read:

Broken Open: How difficult times can help us grow: Lesser, Elizabeth


I thought it might be relevant to the times we're in. Difficult times.

The author, Elizabeth Lesser, is a co-founder of Omega Institute where I have had the privilege of studying both meditation and writing over the years, so I expected to find words of wisdom here. The profound lyricism and beauty of her words, though, surprised me. The way she spoke of birth and death, of love, of embracing what is real, of surrendering our expectations, our desires, our plans, even our hopes, and instead, submitting to what is difficult but inevitable...fear, grief, failure, rejection, loss, anger, aging...and growing into a strong, peaceful, joyful force in the world.

"When you choose to learn and grow
from the weight of the world,
you are putting your soul
in charge of your life."
~Elizabeth Lesser~

Which might explain why every one of the fifty-two short chapters in this book brought me to tears, not because her message was one of unending pain or suffering, not because it was all about inevitable sorrow, not because there is no hope...but because she nailed the truth and it is beautiful. Because she wrote in metaphors that reflected reality in lovely, gentle images. Because she made transformation into something that is desirable, necessary, and welcoming.

"May your longing for wakefulness
be stronger than your fear of change."
~Elizabeth Lesser~

If your heart has been broken open, I recommend you check out this book. If you are tottering on the brink of sorrow, fear, loss, failure, anger, or confusion...aren't we all, right now?...you may find a foothold here. 

"Tell me what it is you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life."
~Mary Oliver~
jan






No comments:

Post a Comment