Tuesday, April 9, 2019

an outpouring of stories


 

If you want to hear an outpouring of stories about medicine, start a conversation about childbirth with a gathering of women or about sports injuries among men. Ask a group of doctors about their most difficult cases. Listen to any cancer survivor describe her diagnosis and treatment. Ask a child about the band aid on his knee. You’ll find a story there.


These stories serve us in several ways:
  •  By narrating our experience, we organize our thoughts about it. No longer are we plagued with a vague sense of fear or dread or uncertainty. We come to understand what our fear is based upon. The pregnant woman confesses, “I thought I did something wrong to cause the bleeding.” The basketball player says, “I thought I’d never play again.” The doctor admits, “I had no idea what to do next." 
  • Storytelling is an attempt to understand the cause and timing of an illness. Why me? Why this? Why now? What did I do, or fail to do, to bring this on?
  • It enables us to understand the role illness plays in our lives. How it affects our family and friends, our team, our job, our finances. Our future. It all comes out.
  •  It forces us to ask some difficult questions. What could I have done differently? How much pain can I bear? Who will take care of me? How long do I have to live? 

Image result for confused person
www.emaze.com

This is a big deal. Illness disrupts our lives at the same time it grounds us. It forces us take a good hard look at what we value. Shared stories of recovery and healing dispel fear and give us hope. Stories of loss deepen empathy and help us confront denial. Stories of courage and faith strengthen us for our own battles.

The importance of storytelling in medicine cannot be overestimated. Most of us are bursting with stories, about to explode with the untold narratives we stuff inside because no one invites us to tell them.
 
"One of the most valuable
things we can do to heal
one another is to listen to
each other's stories."
~Rebecca Falls~
 jan
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment