Sunday, August 26, 2018

a recipe for disaster


 
Bye-bye, summer.
 
 
I retired after thirty years in Family Medicine out of fear.
 
I didn’t leave because of the long hours, or the fact that I’d been running hopelessly behind schedule all day, every day for three decades. I didn’t leave to take an easier position or to make more money. I didn’t ask to be excused because of fatigue or forgetfulness or ill health.
 
What scared me was the inevitability that I would miss a critical diagnosis, and because of it, I would subject the patient to unnecessary and inappropriate testing and treatments...all because I didn't get the patient's full history. I didn't know the whole story. Who had time to listen? Who had time to search for physical clues to the diagnosis?
 
"I think of my patients as
body AND mind;
the more I understand about both of these,
the easier it is for me to help."
~Dr. McKenzie Mescon~
 
This fear reflected, in part, the trend toward productivity requirements that link complexity with compensation. Briefly...a doctor generates more money by seeing more complicated patients in less time and by utilizing fewer diagnostic resources in their care. This is a sure recipe for disaster.
 
Let's say a patient presents with a sore throat and fever. His health care provider checks his throat and ears, and feels around for swollen submandibular lymph nodes. A throat swab is negative for Strep. But because he's running behind schedule, and only has ten minutes to see the patient in the first place, the provider fails to palpate the enlarged supraclavicular node that would have tipped him off to the real diagnosis...the lymphoma that was simmering out of sight. The lymphoma that was causing the patient's night sweats, fatigue and weight loss that no one asked about. It has happened. 
 
"The important thing is
not to stop questioning.
Curiosity has its own reason
for existing."
~Albert Einstein~
 
Last week I told you about the mysterious case of frostbite that was only diagnosed after the provider went back and reviewed the whole story with the patient. Some time ago I related the history of a patient who claimed her left orbital blowout fracture was the result of a fall causing her to strike the corner of her TV...when in fact, it was the result of a blow from her boyfriend's fist that required me to secure a PFA and to find safe shelter for her. That took time, but it may have saved her life.
 
Isn't that what physician productivity is really all about? Time constraints, reimbursement issues, and productivity aside...we are here to deliver high quality, compassionate, and complete health care to our patients...not to play "stop the clock" with them.
jan
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



1 comment:

  1. Jan, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head! I often feel dismissed by my physician when I still have questions or concerns. I fail to ask for more time because I can see and sense the “clock” ticking in his head and I don’t want to add more stress to his day so I go home and surf the web for the answers I should be getting from my doctor....

    ReplyDelete