Tuesday, April 24, 2018

the not-so-perfect day for a walk

 
 
 
 
Yesterday was a great day for a walk…as Winnie the Pooh would have put it, a perfect day to be quiet by a little stream and listen.
 
“Everybody should be quiet
by a little stream and listen.”
~Winnie the Pooh~
 
So, that’s what I did. My route took me back and forth across a lovely brook four times. The sky was clear blue, the sun was warm, and the air was still. The silence and solitude gave me time to think. It was a perfect day for me…but not for everyone.
 
In contrast to the comfort, peace, and gratitude I felt for my own good fortune…my thoughts were drawn to the news. Not just to the underlying current of poverty, violence, and sorrow that stalks mankind in general…but specifically to the young boy who suffocated in his car last week despite his pleas for help after calling 911…after texting his mother to say that, if he died there, he wanted her to know he loved her. My thoughts turned the eight-year old girl found dead after a brutal rape. And to their families’ shattered hearts.
 
I couldn’t help but think about the victims of the week’s senseless shootings. About the plight of animals who were neglected and abused. About the latest damage to the only environment we know. And, as a physician, about the people I know who are sick or dying.
 
“I am constantly amazed
by man’s inhumanity to man.”
~Primo Levi~
 
Arrrgh! It is all so insanely painful to contemplate. What are we to do?
 
A couple of hours after my walk, I went to my yoga/meditation class, and you know what? I felt better after it…stronger and calmer. It reminded me that as health care providers, we come to accept the fact that we can help some of our patients, but not all of them. We can save lives some of the time, but not all the time. We have to take the bad news with the good. We have no choice.
 
Nevertheless, because we have the skill and sensitivity to offer words and to perform acts of comfort, encouragement, and solace, we have the power to bring balance to the world. Without the good we do, without the gratitude we feel, without the kindness we offer, how would we survive?
 
Caring, giving, embracing hope…and perhaps even prayer…are necessary survival skills in a world that might otherwise go down in defeat. The good that we do, where we are, with what we have strengthens us for the journey.
 
“Do what you can,
with what you have,
where you are.”
~Theodore Roosevelt~
 
jan
 

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment