Wednesday, November 22, 2017

perception vs reality

 
The medical history can difficult to obtain for many reasons. A patient’s description of his illness can be affected by his perception of it, his experience with it, and what he imagines about it. By his expectations. By fear or denial. Or he may simply lack the language to express it.
“Perception is reality.”
~Lee Atwater~
For example, if I had to tell you what has been going on in my left foot for the past six weeks, I would be hard pressed to describe it. You would be left scratching your heads. It all started with localized pain during weight-bearing (but no tenderness to touch). It started to swell, and then, after four weeks, I noticed bruising. I don’t recall any injury. It’s hard to know what triggers the pain because it seems worse at night for some unknown reason. I have no idea why it is getting worse despite the fact that I have been faithfully resting my foot like I know I should. It frustrates me because I can’t exercise. It worries me, too. What if I need surgery? What if I can’t take care of myself?
Even though I’m a physician, and I know all about strains and sprains, overuse injuries and stress fractures, tendonitis and arthritis…I can’t really describe the discomfort. And because I don’t remember injuring my foot, I can’t make sense of it. This is weird.
Imagine how difficult it must be for patients to describe their symptoms or to make sense of their illnesses when they have neither knowledge, experience, nor language for what is happening to them.
“Write hard and clear
about what hurts.”
~Ernest Hemingway~
Most people are not used to thinking about their symptoms in the kind of descriptive terms physicians depend upon to narrow the diagnostic possibilities. For example, they might not realize that the difference between a headache that is generalized, dull and steady rather than unilateral and throbbing may distinguish a tension headache from a migraine. They may not be able to distinguish between the kind of pain caused by heartburn and myocardial ischemia. They might not use those terms to describe it at all. The patient is more likely to view his symptoms in terms of lost wages, his inability to provide for his family, or his own impending decline rather than the onset, character, and duration of his symptoms.
“Every sickness has an alien quality,
a feeling of invasion and loss of control
that is evident in the language
we use about it.”
~Siri Hustvedt~
Severity is especially tricky to assess. It depends to some extent on the patient’s innate tolerance for pain. Is he a stoic or a whiner? His perception of pain depends upon how his symptoms affect his mood, his ability to carry on, and his fears which are largely based on what he has heard, what he imagines, or what he has witnessed in others.
Take it from me, under the best of circumstances, the medical history can sometimes remain a mystery.
One day I will find the right words
and they will be simple.”
~Jack Kerouac~
jan


No comments:

Post a Comment